Thursday, January 5, 2012

Why go? According to Rachael Martin

"Since 2007, I wanted to go on a mission’s trip to Africa, and then in
2009 my Bishop went to Uganda, Africa with four other members of my
church my heart was crushed that I wouldn’t be able to go with them
because it was my senior year of high school. In 2011 I had the
opportunity to head to Uganda, Africa with an awesome group of young
people! Heading over to Uganda I felt like I knew what to expect from
hearing all the stories from people from my church, and my brother who
went in January of 2011. Once I landed in Africa until the day we got
on the plane to head back to the United States, I realized I was
wrong. Actually being in Uganda changed my outlook on the people over
there. My brother would tell me how you go over and expect to change
their life, but they ended up changing yours. I found out what he was
saying was true! In the United States we take so many things for
granted, especially the things we sacrifice to God! I remember one
night after a hard rain came down it was probably 65 degrees, and an
orphan was holding my hand shivering. Being an American I thought this
weather was perfect, but looking at this child I knew it wasn’t
comfortable for him. I realized how much I have in the States that I
use to keep me comfortable. This child had nothing else to put on to
keep warm, but there was still a smile on his face seeing a group of
people playing games with them to show we care and love them very
much. While over there I learned what it meant to sincerely worship
the one true God! There is a lot more to mission trips than being able
to see another country. Going to Uganda my heart was opened to many
people who didn’t have much materialistic items.
   You may ask yourself “Why should I go on the AYC Missions Trip?”
Going on a mission’s trip allows you to meet friends across the United
States that has the same passion as you. Not only do you meet friends
from the States, but also living in a different country. Every so
often I receive a phone call and emails from my friends that I made in
Uganda. During these phone calls they inform me of how revival is
breaking out at their church and the village churches, it is amazing
to hear these stories and feel like you are back with them in revival!
I know that when I went to Uganda my faith grew so much! Not only my
faith but my love for people all over the world has grown. Many people
also talk themselves out of going to another country because it may be
dangerous and they don’t have the security that the United States
does. I remember going through that and I was about to email Josh
Wilson and say I couldn’t go. I prayed and asked God to show me a sign
because I didn’t want to have fear. After praying I got a strong urge
to read the Bible.  The verse I opened up to was Hebrews 13:6 which
states, “So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will
not fear what man shall do unto me.” Remember that throughout your
time on this trip God WILL have His hand of protection on you!  I
promise you will not regret going on a mission’s trip. It will give
you strength, encouragement, love, faith, and a whole lot more! You
have nothing to lose on this upcoming trip…go and open your heart to
what blessing God has for your life. Trust me you will be very
blessed! "

No comments:

Post a Comment